Tesla Model S and Tesla Model X range extender and easy coasting – TeslaChip
TeslaChip is a range extender controlling load applied to engine via throttle control. No problems with warranty - undetectable by dealer. It is easy to install, as it uses factory plugs. It delivers following extensions to standard Tesla Model S or Tesla Model X:
- range extender – it bases on adding „N-mode on demand” (aka glide mode) to D-mode, along with alternative torque delivery strategy (read below). Range extension is around 10% (for all sizes of batteries). It does not affect maximum power, but torque distribution along accelerator pedal position is altered.
- regenerative force at D mode comes faster. Removing leg from accelerator pedal gives more rapid invoking of regeneration.
- Smooth power delivery promotes battery health. Optionally maximum power can be limited to prolong battery life and health (for usage as taxi car or car for hire)
Alternative accelerator pedal interpretation for efficiency
Until now all Tesla models except P versions (performance versions) have simple “accelerator pedal (acc) position → power” transition. Position of accelerator pedal is converted to power demand immediately and almost linearly . This we can see at energy usage panel in the car, and we have verified that also with our laboratory chassis dynos (http://vtechdyno.eu).
This method of power demand control suffers from two negative effects:
- Acceleration of the car is not stable at all. The car first accelerates better, then, falls down with acceleration – as acceleration is simply dependent on torque, and because car has almost constant power for any rpm and any desired acc pedal position – it is logical that torque MUST go down (see graph – thin lines in the big graph – torque of car (=acceleration) for various acc pedal positions (verified with dyno).
- We have scanned Tesla powertrain for efficiency (by comparing power taken from battery vs propulsive power at dynamometer and some parts of acceleration are not crossing optimal motor efficiency (red and orange areas). In some areas it is impossible, but of course everything can be optimized.
We have prepared an alternative power demand curve (presented as bold line in the small graph vs. thin line with same color – factory) that promotes two things: more constant acceleration and more efficiency.
More constant acceleration for moderate drive is, in my humble opinion, something perfect for Tesla. There is no rapid power demand, and power demand changes in time (as the power is now not constant, but rather torque is more constant). This is clearly visible on the power usage panel.
Remaining for more time in the optimal efficiency area – this is more or less a “side effect”, as we have “constant torque” strategy instead of “constant power” strategy. I cannot directly say whether this will extend the range or not (or maybe a bit) but it should at least give some positive effects on range.
For acc pedal levels over 70% torque demand curve becomes more and more „constant power” type. For 100% pedal it is just factory 100% power line, not altered.
Below 20% of acc pedal I have used less flat torque curves (not shown on the graph) because of the need for a jump start at lights or cross-roads.
TeslaChip includes feature of N-mode on demand. While driving in D-mode you can almost remove leg from acc pedal. TeslaChip will set motor power to exactly zero (0 kWh) so you will be rolling without energy conversions. This increases efficiency with longer distance trips and is good for overall range (autonomy). See how easy is to find exact zero power usage with TeslaChip:
TeslaChip can be ordered worldwide. We accept PayPal as a method of payment. Delivery via courier. Warranty: 2 years, Money Back Guarantee: 14 days
Price: € 236 net.
EU citizens need to provide valid VAT number for tax exemption. Non EU citizens pay net price.
Shipping included (in EU).
Shipping outside EU: +35 Eur.
Deliveries for USA/Canada will be provided from our new distribution center in Lake in the Hills, IL.
Free standard shipping or DHL Express service (extra fee).
Notice: Evtun is not responsible for unauthorized changes.
TeslaChip – FAQ
- Do you ship to USA?
Yes, we ship to USA.
- Can it be detected by the dealer/car manufacturer?
No. There is no risk for warranty as it is undetectable.
- What modelyears and versions of Tesla is TeslaChip compatible?
All except P (performance) versions and 100D (as we haven’t prepared optimized characteristics on the dyno yet – lack of cars). It does not matter if it is RWD or AWD, and any battery size from 60kWh till 90kWh. Version for 100D and P-models is in preparation.
- Is that difficult to install TeslaChip?
No. You can do that within few minutes, without any car modification. Box uses factory plugs.
- Is power increase safe for my Tesla?
Power increase is optional and bases on limits provided by manufacturer. Thus - TeslaChip does not demand more power, than maximum permitted by manufacturer.
- Is there any risk for battery?
No. Battery works with same maximum current as designed by factory. In fact, smoother power control and low speed reduced energy drain in ECO mode helps battery to be more durable (and thus - increases range). Using TeslaChip is good for battery life.
- Is the range increased?
Yes. You will observe up to 10% better range while moderate driving – of course results can be even better when you will use coasting mode more. This is caused by more sophisticated and precise electric power applying, and gliding (N-mode on demand) functionality. Battery is not drained to lower level, than factory designed.
- Is that legal to use TeslaChip?
As there are no car permanent modifications, modifications of power, emissions, safety – there are no reasons for such solutions to be illegal (like for car alarms or other additional equipment).
- Can I return TeslaChip?
In additional to your Statutory Warranty (2 years) we offer a 14 Day Money Back Guarantee. If for any reason you are unsatisfied with TeslaChip, please contact us within 14 days of taking delivery, and organise to return the product and receive a refund. Product must be undamaged.
- I have another question concerning TeslaChip
Contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Do they have certification?
Yes, CE approval, E20 10R-03 2680